Student Disability Accommodation
Mississippi Valley State University’s Office of Student Disability Accommodations mission is to comply with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) which guarantees people with disabilities the full and equal enjoyment of goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations. We also recognize student’s rights to privacy and confidentiality when providing services. A disability, as defined by the ADA, is a permanent condition which substantially limits one or more major life activity.
SERVICES FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES INCLUDES
- Information provided in an accessible format
- Auxiliary Aid Services
- Equal participation in activities and services
- Information given in an accessible format
- Confidential and privacy treatment of information and conversation.
- Reasonable accommodations
- The right to file a grievance or an appeal on basis of disability related to discrimination
Section 504 inquires that disability related information should be treated as medical information and handled under the same strict rules of confidentiality as other medical information.Information regarding a student’s disability should only be shared by those who hold the documentation on a limited basis, and then only when there is compelling reason(s) for disclosure. Disability related information is only shared on a limited basis within this institution. This is for a compelling reason regarding specific need-to- know basis.
To be eligible for disability services at Mississippi Valley State University, a student must complete the intake process and have a physical or mental impairment condition which substantially limits one or more major life activities. For more information about the ADA, go to www.usdoj.gov/crt/add.
Students with disabilities must maintain the same level of academic integrity and responsibility as students without disabilities. This includes the same academic standards, attending class, and providing timely notification of individual needs;
- Identifying yourself as having a disability,
- Providing sufficient documentation regarding your disability,
- Completing the in-take process in the Office of Student Disability Accommodations,
- Meeting and maintaining the academic requirements of the University,
- Students desiring special testing due to their disability should make these arrangements prior to the beginning of school term.
Kathy Brownlow /Director of Advising14000 Hwy 82 W Box 7232Itta Bena, MS38941