A college campus is a great place to learn and grow. But a college campus, like any other community, has its share of accidents, crimes, emergencies, and injuries.
Personal Safety Tips
- Know how to defend yourself. Take a reputable self-defense class, such as the Rape Aggression Defense program
- Develop a plan of action.
- Avoid walking alone, especially at night. Call the MVSU Police Department for an escort, if necessary (254-3478).
- Be aware of your suroundings. Avoid unpopulated and poorly or unlit areas after dark. Look for hiding spots.
- Be aware of your companions. Ensure that they are people you trust.
- Walk and act with confidence. LOOK alert! BE alert!
- If you feel you are being followed, change direction. Walk towards a populated area.
- If you are confronted, don't panic. YELL! Use your adrenaline to your advantage. Follow your plan of action.
- If assaulted, call the police as soon as possible (254-3478).
Safety Around Vehicles
- Always park in lighted areas
- Always lock your vehicles
- Don't travel alone, when possible
- Carry small loads at a time, keeping your arms free for movement.
- Carry your keys at the ready.
- Look around and under your vehicle during your approach.
- Check the front and back seats before you enter the vehicle.
- As soon as you are safely inside, lock the door.
- NEVER pick up a hitchhiker
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Be alert to your surroundings- pay attention- don't be distracted by talking on your cell phone.
- Try not to walk by yourself, especially at night-while there is no guarantee, there seems to be greater safety when traveling in numbers.
- Have your car keys ready as you approach your car.
- Carry a cell phone with you. For situations encountered on campus, call MVSU Police Department- make sure to program MVSU Police Department phone number into your phone, (662)254-3478. For all matters encountered off campus, call 911. Keep your cell phone charged up at all times.
- Immediately report to the police any suspicious persons or vehicles.